Saturday, July 12, 2008

My First Post

Today marks my newest challenge--creating my first blog! I have learned so much over the last month or two, reading blogs of other quilters from all over the world, that I thought I might try it myself.

I love fabric and patterns and pictures of quilts and reading about other people's quilts and..... you get the idea. Sometimes I spend so much time looking and planning and adding to my stash that I forget that I need to use some of it up and actually make a quilt! My hubby says it's time to quit buying and start sewing! What does he know? The smooth feel of the fabrics as they sit so prettily on my shelves is a tonic in itself. And the colors - reds, greens, yellows, blues, and purples make me smile-they're like opening the door on sunshine. Why would I want to use all that wonderful stuff up?

But I've made myself a promise that I will TRY to stop buying and get going and start making quilts for myself and my family. My daughter does have a quilt on her bed now that I made her after she wore out her first one. And I do have a UFO in a box waiting to be finished that she'd love. But first, I need to do the binding on a beautiful Jacob's Elevator quilt that my friend, Mary, made for me. I suppose I should make a list of all my UFO's, but I'm afraid that would discourage me, so I think I'll just get going on my next project.

I've started a red, white, and blue disappearing 9-patch to go to a wounded soldier through the Operation Quiet Comfort program. And I've pulled fat quarters to do the Stashbuster Groups' New Year's quilt so I can donate that to the Soldier's Angels quilt program. Both groups do a fantastic job in supporting our troops and wounded warriors both here in the States and overseas. I've set myself a goal this year to make and donate at least 5 quilts to them before the year's end. That should certainly use up some of that stash I try to hide from my DH.

I've also signed up to do my first Mystery Quilt through the Stashbuster Mystery Quilt group. I haven't started sewing yet because I can't make up my mind which quilt block to do and which of 3 sets of fabric to use. I started pulling fabric for Maple Leaf blocks in assorted fall colors 'cause that's my favorite time of the year, but then saw some of the 9-patch blocks others were making and pulled 2 different sets of fabric for them! Decisions, decisions! But I have to make up my mind this weekend, 'cause Week 2's instructions are up and Week 3 will be up Tuesday, I think. I don't want to get too far behind on that.

Helping me along with my sewing is my little cat, Katie. She is the sweetest cat I have ever had. I just finished sewing 26 football-fabric pillowcases for a unit in Iraq and after I got them ironed, she had to "help" by making sure they were "pressed" just right and were soft enough for our soldiers! LOL! She sure is fun!

Since I have no quilt pics to show yet, I'll just add pics of Katie to this posting.
Hopefully, next time I post I'll have some blocks to share. Until next time, happy quilting!


Sharon

No comments: